Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Frigging Email Hoaxes.

Iunno if any of you guys got these, but I've gotten two today, one from someone I don't like, and one from someone I don't know (!), and both, obviously, from morons. Come on.

"Hey it is tara and john the directors of MSN, sorry for the interruption but msn is closing down. this is because too many inconsiderate people are taking up all the name (eg making up lots of different accounts for just one person), we only have 578 names left. If you would like to close your account, DO NOT SEND THIS MESSAGE ON. If you would like to keep your account, then SEND THIS MESSAGE TO EVERYONE ON YOUR CONTACT LIST. This is no joke, we will be shutting down the servers. Send it on, thanks.

WHO EVER DOES NOT SEND THIS MESSEAGE, YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE CLOSED AND YOU WILL COST $10.00 A MONTH TO USE. SEND THIS TO EVERYONE ON YOUR CONTACT LIST.

NOW YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO. PLEASE DO NOT FORWARD THIS or REPLAY. COPY THE WHOLE EMAIL. GO BACK TO YOUR INBOX AND CLICK ON NEW. AND PASTE THANK YOU FOR YOUR ATTENTION

hey everyone, i dont normally send this sort of stuff out but had a look on the internet and its actually true . On the 1st of november , we will have to pay for the use of our MSN and email accounts unless we send this message to at least 18 contacts on your contact list. It's no joke if you don't believe me then go to the site (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1189119.stm ) and see for yourself."

Both times I jumped on google with "hotmail closing hoax" because I've seen this shit before, first found http://www.hoax-slayer.com/bebo-closing-down-hoax.html, and the second time I found http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/hoaxes/hoaxDetails.asp?HName=MSN+18+Contacts+Hoax.
Here's what I sent to the first dude.

"No legitimate company would alert customers to impending account closures via such vague and poorly written emails. Nor would they attempt to force users to forward the message to others by threatening to close the accounts of those who do not comply."

" This warning message and all its foolish cousins, should be deleted. "

Any questions?

So, I felt pretty good after sending that. Then, 3 or 4 hours later, I got the frigging email again, from someone the 1st dude sent it to. This moron proceeded to send it to his entire contact list, which soon contained everyone who recieved the first email. So, feeling quite pissed off, I replied thusly:

"Wow, ZOMG, I found the exact same thing on this website! http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/hoaxes/hoaxDetails.asp?HName=MSN+18+Contacts+Hoax

It's like, fully true, thanks for telling me about this, I sure don't want to pay $10 a month...

Two questions though. 1, how did you get my email?

2, how could anyone believe such a poorly written message?"


So, the moral of this story, kiddies, is that people are gullible enough to believe anything. Also, block, and filter out, fox_use_can_kit@hotmail.com, and ronan225@hotmail.com.
What kinda name is "fox_use_can_kit?" It makes no sense.

Sorry, I just felt like ranting a bit. I'm going back to browsing old Shoutwire articles.

Ben

No comments: