Saturday, March 17, 2007

Purge Writing 4: This time, it's not Purge Writing 3

It's midnight. I don't have any homework (OK, I do. I'm a horrid, horrid liar), and I've just come out of a horrendously bad DotA game. What do I do? I get this evil feeling, the feeling that I know so well, the feeling to write something.
There's a lot that I could write about, as I haven't "purged" since January, but I don't know what to write about. I have so much to write about I don't know where to begin. I could write about how different Year 11 is compared to Year 10, I could write about the massively increased amounts of pressure I'm under because of Year 11, I could write about how freakin pissed off I get after a horrendously bad DotA game... Or I could do all of that!

Time of start: 12:01 am.
Estimated time of finish: 12:30
GO! I'm late!
Year 11 compared to Year 10. In Year 10, I couldn't go home at lunch times 2/5 days a week. I couldn't go to the library during normal periods. I couldn't not buy chips at the canteen... That's another story, however. But, I've got 27 minutes to fill, so I might as well. Freakin' Rebecca's mother persuaded the school to remove all unhealthy products from the canteen. This was in about term 3. Chips were gone for a few days, then came back. All was good. However, as soon as we came back this year, BAM! No chips. I was heart broken. Gabby was worse, she threw her shoe at Josh. Tee hee.

What the school doesn't realise is, they're under no obligation to make sure we're eating right. They shouldn't have to care. They are there to teach us stuff, not make sure we're not fat. Schools should be more like universities: If someone fucks up, send them to the police and screw this "suspension" crap. "You broke this dude's nose. You can't come to school for a week." "Um, bonus?" In the same manner, we are at high school, and hence old enough to make intelligent choices about what we eat. I know that I'm not exactly the best person to be saying this, seeing as how I'm very biased towards the chip-camp, and don't eat too many other foods anyway, but it's true. If students can't be trusted to make intelligent choices, then they shouldn't be in school. Rawr.

What the school also fails to realise is that with every bucket of chips not sold, that's $2 that could be going towards the new air-conditioners for the library. Last year, I would bet massive amounts of money that the Canteen raised enough money to pay for 10 air conditioners from chips alone. Now, food purchases have plummeted. It's not good. Also, isn't it slightly hypocritical that the school removes chips from the canteen on a "healthy eating" basis, yet is currently forcing many students to sell chocolates? I'm pretty sure that $2 of chips is more healthy (in comparison) than $3 of chocolate eggs. School:0, Ben:211.

What else did I have to talk about... Oh yeah. Pressure.
Since we're in "VCE" now, we have assloads more homework to do. ASSLOADS, I tell you. Teachers must be thinking "omg, they're doing year 11, they should have no social life, no free time, and OH MY GOD! THAT TEENAGER IS STARING AT A TELEVISION! AAH!!" And we're expected to do it all, otherwise we fail. Ooooh. And of course, if we were to fail our VCE, then we'll fail at life, we'll never get a job, and we'll become impotent, impoverished hobo's with no family (they desert you if you don't get a good ENTER score), no friends (ditto) and old, ratty shoes for gloves. Just like the school's been drumming into our brains for the past 4 years. To paraphrase Rebecca: "I get it! I'm fat and ugly, Evan! Stop telling me If we don't do well at VCE, we fail at life. Except for all the alternate paths we can take to become successful, such as TAFE, or an Apprenticeship, etc." Those don't matter at all. Nope, if you can't get 99.95% on your ENTER score, then you are a horrible person. Don't look at me like that, you know it's true. It's what our teachers have been telling us for the past 4 years! Yeesh. No need to get angry with me.

So, where was I? Oh yeah, pressure. Clearly we're under a lot more pressure, because of the increased workload, because we have to do more otherwise our brains will turn into no more than a sluggish pile of grey goop. Bleckh.

Re DotA: I played a game of DotA tonight, after much prodding from Josh. I left my comfortable position trying to break my way through "The Impossible Quiz" (60% or so, go me), to play a game with him. Aren't I kind. We got pummeled.

It's not so much that we got pummeled Again, I lie. I was severly pissed off that we got pummeled. I know I can play better than I did, and I screwed up. Mainly because I was asked to play as someone I had no experience with, most of our team was horrible, and most of their team was good. Grrr. *pauses timer, 12:19*

*Resumes timer 12:20*

Psshaw, enough about DotA. I can't be bothered going into what pisses me off about a computer game right now. What I will spend the next 10 minutes writing about, however, is exclusion.
*que sob story* In primary school, I was the biggest nerd you could find. It's true, I readily admit it. No one else gets to, that's just how logic works. As such, and as all nerdy children are told, the other chilluns got jealous of my intelligence sick of my smart-assness, and decided to exclude me from their games. Of course, I tried to strategically place myself into their little games, and sometimes it worked, most times it didn't. Primary school wasn't that much fun to start with, so I threw myself into my work. The fact that I was doing Grade 2 stuff in Prep didn't seem to help my social standing. The interesting thing is, there was a large amount of smart kids at my school. They all just happened to be a lot sportier than I was. So, they kept excluding me, I kept throwing myself at my work, eventually I found a bunch of people who thought similarally to me, and friendships were forged. Woo.

The point I'm trying to illustrate by sharing this pathetic story with you is that I do not approve of excluding people. I've been there, it's not fun. I've probably excluded people too, though. Damn I'm a hypocrite. Still. Exclusion is not fun, so I'm making a pledge to try and include people more. It probably will fall through within a couple of days, like most of my after-midnight ideas, but there you go. The thought was there.

I tried to edit the blog's layout today. Didn't work too well... I can't change the background to what it's supposed to be, and the CSS is not being nice to me, but I'll take another crack at it when I'm done here (3 minutes). Plans for layout:
  • Restore background and sidebar images.
  • Make banner and link to me buttons.
  • Make the page look more prettyful in general.
  • Kill that freakin' dots template. Damn it pisses me off.
So, there's my glorious plan. Good luck to me. *hears noise* What's that? Ben's just waffling to fill up time? Huh? How could you say that? I'm terribly insulted. It's quite rude. Besides, most of this post is waffle anyway. Improvisation. That's a skill I really need to work on, because I have a debate in 3-4 days. Eeep. Oh, hey. Look at that. Time's up!

End time: 12:30
Good hustle, people, now hit the showers.
Ben

No comments: